Saturday, June 7, 2014

Review of Nalini Singh's Shield of Winter


Blurb: Assassin. Soldier. Arrow. That is who Vasic is, who he will always be. His soul drenched in blood, his conscience heavy with the weight of all he’s done, he exists in the shadows, far from the hope his people can almost touch—if only they do not first drown in the murderous insanity of a lethal contagion. To stop the wave of death, Vasic must complete the simplest and most difficult mission of his life.

For if the Psy race is to survive, the empaths must wake…

Having rebuilt her life after medical “treatment” that violated her mind and sought to stifle her abilities, Ivy should have run from the black-clad Arrow with eyes of winter frost. But Ivy Jane has never done what she should. Now, she'll fight for her people, and for this Arrow who stands as her living shield, yet believes he is beyond redemption. But as the world turns to screaming crimson, even Ivy’s fierce will may not be enough to save Vasic from the cold darkness…


Review: So, I'm totally going to start this review by saying that I have been exceptionally lucky lately. I know! Odd, right? Yeah, I thought so too. At any rate, over the past few months, I've started acquiring new signed releases from some of my favorite authors. For a book nerd like me, who still reads hard copies of books over and over again, they have been major scores. And to get to the point, I totally won a signed hardcover of Shield of Winter. I might have even squealed like a pubescent girl at a Bieber concert, but hey, that's neither here nor there. 

I have no idea what took me so long to start the Psy-Changeling series, but once I read Heart of Obsidian, that was all it took to kick off a love affair. I promptly went back and purchased the other books in this series and fell in love with the characters and world Singh created. It's no surprise I was beyond tickled to win Vasic's book. 

I'll also say there aren't too many series I will continue to read after book five or so, but this author is fantastic with her world-building and cast of characters. Initially, in book one, Slave to Sensation, you realize the Psy and Changeling worlds are shifting and changing. Throughout the series, you continue to see the changes in the Council and the deterioration of the Psy's Net. It basically all came to head in Heart of Obsidian when Kaleb Krycheck initiated the fall of Silence, thus changing the way of life for all Arrows.

And now we have Vasic, a cold, hard Arrow, who's so buried in his own conditioning and self-loathing, he functions like the most extreme of the Psys, alone and Silent. Vasic was a wonderful hero, and it was interesting to read him break out of his hardened shell and succumb to the heroine and Empath Psy, Ivy Jane.

I think one thing I loved so much about this particular book in the series was the focus on social interactions...the Arrows guarding the Empaths, Ivy's dog, Rabbit, the initial agreement to stay in Changeling territory. Every small social interaction brought the Arrows out of their shells by small degrees. Especially the scenes with Rabbit and his "fetch" stick. Before the fall of Silence, the Arrows would've stared at the dog, not comprehending Ivy's need to have a pet. Though they still might not comprehend it, through a bit of unconscious conditioning and interaction with the other Empaths, the Arrows would actually pick up Rabbit's stick and toss it for him to retrieve. It seemed to be a form a therapy almost. 

For me, this was a wonderful follow up to Heart of Obsidian. I loved every interaction between Vasic and Ivy. Each time you could see Vasic fall a bit more under Ivy's spell. *Le sigh* You know those strong, silent types that would go to any length to protect their loves...Yeah, that's Vasic. He accepted and dealt with all the new changes in his life in stride and that totally made me love this hero more.

All in all, if you haven't read a Psy-Changeling novel yet, hop to it. You won't be sorry you did.

Available for purchase at: Amazon
Kobo 

Be sure to visit Nalini Singh atWebsite

Have you read this series yet? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts. :) 

1 comment:

  1. I have heard many great things about this series for the past two years or so. I still haven't picked up this series because it's already thirteen books in? I wish I had the time to get invested in another series, but since series seem to be the only thing dominating the market at the moment, this will have to wait :( Thirteen books and counting. Yikes. Great review my dear. You make me want to .... must resist, lol.

    ReplyDelete