Sunday, February 9, 2014

Review of Tessa Dare's Romancing the Duke


Blurb: In the first in Tessa Dare's captivating Castles Ever After series, a mysterious fortress is the setting for an unlikely love . . .

As the daughter of a famed author, Isolde Ophelia Goodnight grew up on tales of brave knights and fair maidens. She never doubted romance would be in her future, too. The storybooks offered endless possibilities.

And as she grew older, Izzy crossed them off. One by one by one.

Ugly duckling turned swan?

Abducted by handsome highwayman?
Rescued from drudgery by charming prince?


No, no, and… Heh.

Now Izzy’s given up yearning for romance. She’ll settle for a roof over her head. What fairy tales are left over for an impoverished twenty-six year-old woman who’s never even been kissed?

This one.

Review: I kept hearing great things about this book, so I decided to pick up my own copy and try it out. AND now I feel like I have a bit of a book hangover. 

I loved it. It's everything I love in my historical romances. Quirky heroine. Brooding Duke. Odd animals and secondary characters. Oh yeah, and a castle. How could I forget that?

I'm rather sappy with my romantic fiction, and I'll admit I love light-hearted romance. Those are  probably my favorite sort of romance reads. Don't get me wrong, I can go with the angsty, dark reads with the best of them. But, I get enough angst in real life at times. Sometimes I just want something entertaining and/or humorous that makes me smile. Something lovely. 

And there you have it, Romancing the Duke. Yes, I actually thought this was a 'lovely' book. It had everything I enjoy the most - bursts of humor, sweet hero (when he wasn't brooding), cute heroine, great dialogue between the hero and heroine which never seemed forced, just flowed naturally. The book was well-written, and I can honestly say there wasn't any aspect of the book I didn't like. Not even close. This book totally left me with the warm fuzzies at the end. Now I can't wait for more to come in this series.

If you're looking for a light-hearted, fun read, go ahead and grab this one. It's a great book in my opinion.


Available for purchase at: Amazon
Kobo 
Be sure to visit Tessa atWebsite


4 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a cute story! I've been on the lookout for something fun and lighthearted...this just might be it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I was on the fence about this one. I think I'll have to pick up a copy now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have been eyeing this one. I just love that cover. And it sounds wonderful! I haven't read any of hers before so glad to hear it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Melissa!

    I love what you wrote! I think you were able to capture all that is fun and wonderful about Tessa's story. ^_^

    ReplyDelete