Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Review of Hard as it Gets by Laura Kaye


Blurb: Tall, dark, and lethal...

Trouble just walked into Nicholas Rixey's tattoo parlor. Becca Merritt is warm, sexy, wholesome--pure temptation to a very jaded Nick. He's left his military life behind to become co-owner of Hard Ink Tattoo, but Becca is his ex-commander's daughter. Loyalty won't let him turn her away. Lust has plenty to do with it too.

With her brother presumed kidnapped, Becca needs Nick. She just wasn't expecting to want him so much. As their investigation turns into all-out war with an organized crime ring, only Nick can protect her. And only Becca can heal the scars no one else sees.

Desire is the easy part. Love is as hard as it gets. Good thing Nick is always up for a challenge...

Review: So I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of Hard as it Gets from the publisher. So hurray for that because the book rocked!

I am so completely sold in the series, it's going to be a trial to wait until March 2014 for Hard as You Can, the next in the Hard Ink Series featuring Shane. But, I'll do it. 

All in all, I really enjoyed this read. The writing flowed nicely from scene to scene, and I have to say I really am loving Laura Kaye's "voice" when she writes a story. She pens exceptionally hot tortured heroes. Not to mention, I do believe I might have a fictional crush on Rixey and his ex-soldier buddies. Even his brother, Jeremy, was a fantastic secondary character that added to the story. 

Basically, combine hot ex-soldiers on a path to redemption, quirky younger brothers, a sweet heroine, tattoos, a three-legged puppy, and a nice dose of suspense, and you have an entertaining story worth reading. Now, I'll anxiously await the next release in the series, even if I do have to wait until March to read it. I feel emotionally invested in all the characters now and can't wait for them to find their happily ever afters. 

Read Chapter 1 of Hard As It Gets

Available at Amazon | B&N | iTunes

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Am I ever glad I stopped by this lovely fall morning and took time to read this post from beginning to end. Fantastic interview, Melissa. I read the first chapter as offered and boy am I hooked! Deep emotion, creative descriptions - all of which make me scream, "Why can't I write like that?!" A dream come true for Laura with a shout-out from Ward. Wow. Knock me over with a feather should that happen to me.

    I gotta read this book - for both an exciting adventure in pleasure, and an in-depth study on how to create heart pounding character emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Melissa! Looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this book, Melissa! Great review! Tweeted and shared

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm so happy I stopped in. All I can say is fantastic. Read chapter 1, holy doddle! HOOKED!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved this one too! Everything she writes really is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete