Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review of Kary Rader's Taylor-Made Life


Blurb: They lived the life they were given; they loved the life they made.

Cheerleader Taylor Smith doesn’t want to die a virgin. Unfortunately, if the terminally-ill leukemia patient doesn't find a lover or a stem-cell match within months, her fear will become reality. When her cancer mentor is revealed to be a hottie entrepreneur from California, it seems fate might finally be on her side.

Tech-geek Gavin Taylor has everything he ever wanted, except someone to grieve for him when he's gone. With his melanoma cancer beyond the help of his riches, he agrees to participate in a cancer patient mentoring program where he's matched with a dying teen from Texas. Despite his immediate attraction, the Silicon Valley whiz intends only to provide friendship and happy memories to the beautiful, young woman who is determined to win his love.

When it's discovered that his frozen sperm and her harvested eggs could lead to a cure, Taylor's mother offers to be a surrogate. And Gavin must decide if he can risk the heart he has never given and a child he'll never know to a girl he just met.


Review: Right, I have to 'preamble' this one. So I'll just be straight up...you will cry when you read this. I know what you're thinking, "Yeah, yeah, whatever." I'm just saying, I'm not a crybag, but good Jesus, I cried all night long. Literally, I laid awake that night once I'd finished the story and wept into my pillow, wanting to change the story somehow. I finally came to the conclusion, after a whole lot of snotting and snorting, that was just the way it was supposed to end. The story as a whole would've lost its impact had it been written any other way. 

I'm not a sappy person, but it was evident a lot of emotion went into this book. I imagine the author had her own bulk supply of tissues handy while writing it. I gotta hand it to her for really packing a punch that left me emotionally unstable for days. I couldn't even discuss the book for a week without tearing up. That's saying a lot for a mean ass like me. 

To be honest, the blurb does a fantastic job describing precisely what the book is about, so there is hardly a reason for me to give another description of it. While reading the book, you know in the back of your head how the book might turn out, but you become so emotionally invested in the characters, you can't put it down. I honestly can say I've never been so attached to a hero and heroine as I was with Taylor and Gavin. 

The writing and flow were fantastic and I really thought it was a beautifully written, heartwarming book. It captured my attention from page one, and I was regretful when it came to an end. I wanted to keep reading. I wanted there to more to this story

I'll also admit that I could never read this story again. It's definitely not because I disliked it. Quite the opposite, in fact. Actually, I loved it. It was a remarkable story that made a lasting impact on me. However, I just don't think I could take the emotional tug-of-war again. Plus, it's not a story I see myself forgetting any time soon. 

All in all, you HAVE to check this book out if you can handle an emotionally-charged, sweet romance. I've warned you, be prepared to cry. Because you most definitely will. But, I really think A Taylor-Made Life will make a lasting impression on you as it has done with me. 


Available for purchase at: Amazon

Be sure to visit Kary Rader at Website 

Kary Rader will also be kicking off a month long book tour starting August 1st for A Taylor-Made Life.

8 comments:

  1. It is a great story. Congrats, Kary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Melissa. It's not a book I'd read twice, but one I'll never forget. What a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing, amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies. Your support means so much and Melissa, thank you for such a great honest review - and I don't think you're anything like a "mean ass". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read this twice. The first time I became so upset, my brain erased it from my memory, so I read it again, trying not to become so emotionally involved.

    IMPOSSIBLE. If you don't sob pathetically at the end of this book, you are dead inside.

    But you won't regret reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review!

    Congrats on your new release, Kary!!

    ReplyDelete