Sunday, June 23, 2013

Review of Under His Command by Kristine Cayne


Blurb: A firefighter desperate to save his failing marriage earns the trust—and the sexual submission—of his controlling wife in the most pleasurable of ways.

After an explosive one-night stand results in pregnancy, Jamie Caldwell is thrilled to marry the perfect foil to his Dom side. But when his submissive wife starts cringing every time he gives a command, Jamie shackles his dark desires. A bout of rough, frenzied reunion sex makes him wonder if now he should free the Dom he’s kept in chains and teach Erica the joys of submission and sexual surrender.

Erica Caldwell secretly loved every sinful thing Jamie did to her on their first night together. However, terrified she’ll become a codependent doormat like her mother, she repeatedly rejects Jamie’s dominance, despite craving the kind of release only he can give her—the release that comes from yielding to Jamie’s every demand.

Hoping that the trust required by BDSM will help them rebuild their faith in each other, Jamie and Erica embark on a journey of sexual exploration. But is it too late to repair their crumbling marriage?


Review: So, I have to start by saying a couple things about this particular book. Number one - the cover is pretty rocking. And number two - I'm not a lover of BDSM. Keep that in mind, folks. (I'll make a confession. For the longest time, I thought BDSM stood for something like Bound and Determined Sex Masters. Granted, I was in my twenties before I figured out it was chest OF drawers versus chester drawers. Now, that's a whole different ballpark.) Right.. moving on to the actual review. 

I've read a short story by this author and enjoyed it. It packed just the right amount of punch for a short. So Under His Command came highly recommended from other reviewers. Despite that, I put off reading it because of the BDSM element in the story. Yes, I'm horrible, I know. At any rate, I finally broke down and read it. 

And it got me. I have to admit it. I thought it was a well written story with great characters. The story worked as a whole for me because the author presented a struggling relationship between a husband and wife, who both lacked trust for different reasons. But, it drove the novel and really opened the door to the BDSM, which I normally shy away from. It became such a crucial element that it didn't hinder my reading the novel in the slightest. It actually became a saving grace between this couple because it allowed both of them to open up to each other and learn to trust. When they both let their guards down and gained trust, their relationship moved forward and flourished. The intimate scenes were scorching. Literally, one was. (However, I'm just saying now, there will be no fire-vajayjay play in this house.)

All in all, I have to give the author kudos in making a touchy subject for me really work in Under His Command. I thought it had a great flow and I even found myself emotionally invested with the characters. I really enjoyed the author's voice and look forward to reading more from Kristine Cayne. If you like a hero and heroine determined to make their relationship work, a super sweet fireman with a dominant streak, and a bit of kink, give Under His Command a try. 

Available for purchase atAmazon
Kobo 

Be sure to visit Kristine atWebsite 
Blog 

19 comments:

  1. Oh I have this one. Yay! I love BDSM though so not an issue at all though I am right the heck with you. No fire play. No ma'am. Not happening in this house either. lol

    Love that the author won you over even with the touchy subject matter. That's always so impressive. Great review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herding Cats, I hope you enjoy UHC when you have a chance to read it. :)

      Delete
    2. Herding Cats - I hope you enjoy UHC when you have the chance to read it!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by, Anna! If you love BDSM in your books, definitely give this one a try. You'll really enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the awesome review, Melissa! I'm glad that I was able to ease you into the BDSM play in this novel. As Herding Cats said, it can be a touchy subject matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you are more than welcome, Kristine. I really love your writing voice. I'm reading more soon!

      Delete
  3. Melissa wonderful review!! Kristine I have this on my TBR list and can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Cindy! :)

      Delete
  4. Great review Book sounds hot.

    Chester drawers - still snickering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you already know I have issues, Daryl. :) Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. LOL - Chester, huh? Snickers with Daryl. And Herding Cats - you LOVE BDSM? *giggle* TMI... LOL I'll quiz you later for research. Excellent review, Melissa. I've heard great things about this book. Now I want a copy of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ::gigglesnort:: I do. I really do. lol Well in my books. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes, chester. I think it's a by-product of growing up in the deep south. LOL. Thanks for stopping by, dude! :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic review, Melissa! But I can't stop laughing at "Bound and Determined Sex Masters" and Chester Drawers! OMG LMAO! If I didn't love you before, I sure as hell do now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I knew if anyone would get a kick out of that, it would be you, Michelle. Thanks for stopping by, chick!

      Delete
  7. I'm not a fan, but I tweeted. Great review. For some reason, I'm not receiving email notices of your blog any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, weird. I'm not too sure why. Hmm thanks for telling me. I appreciate you stopping by, Ella. :D

      Delete
  8. Wonderful review. And hot damn, the cover is majorly sweeeeeet!
    I love your reviews, Melissa. Each book I have purchased because of one of your reviews I have enjoyed. So that means I'm going to buy this book, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. Sounds very steamy.

    You have a way of making me want to read the books you review. Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete