Sunday, May 19, 2013

Review of South of Surrender by Laura Kaye



Blurb: She’s the only one who can see through his golden boy fa├žade to the broken god within…

Chrysander Notos, Supreme God of the South Wind and Summer, is on a mission: save Eurus from his death sentence and prove his troubled brother can be redeemed. But Eurus fights back, triggering vicious summer storms that threaten the mortal realm, dangerously drain Chrys, and earn the ire of the Olympic gods who ordered Eurus dead.

Laney Summerlyn refuses to give up her grandfather’s horse farm, despite her deteriorating vision. More than ever, she needs the organized routine of her life at Summerlyn Stables, until a ferocious storm brings an impossible—and beautiful—creature crashing down from the heavens.

Injured while fighting Eurus, Chrys finds himself at the mercy of a mortal woman whose compassion and acceptance he can’t resist. As they surrender to the passion flaring between them, immortal enemies close in, forcing Chrys to choose between his brother and the only woman who’s ever loved the real him.


Review: You know, there are times I have to ask myself, "why haven't you read this author before now, Melissa?" I often feel like that once I read a book from an author I hadn't before, and the book turns out to be so kick butt. 

So I suppose that gives away exactly what I thought about South of Surrender. I'm not much of a "gods and goddesses" lover, but I really got into this one. I hate that I hadn't read the first two books in the series, but that didn't deter me from following along with the storyline and characters. The author gave a sufficient amount of backstory and details so the reader didn't feel lost at all. Granted, I do need to read the first two books to get every little, minute detail, and more so, because I have a desire to read the first two books now. 

The story moved along at a swift page so that I was constantly flipping the pages to see what would happen next. And I found Laney to be such a sweetheart of a heroine. She strove to be as independent as possible despite her disability, and her utter devotion to Chrys was heart-melting. I like that she made her own decisions and followed her heart where he was concerned. I think Chrys really needed that type of a woman to ensnare him and pull him from the chains of his troubled past. If she'd left everything in his hands, he might've allowed his happiness to pass him by because of his fears of unworthiness. 
  
In my opinion, I thought this was an engaging read that grabbed my attention from the start. I loved the characters and the action scenes with the raging storms. The intimate encounters were steamy, and the happily ever after was sweet. Definitely looking forward to reading more from Laura Kaye. 

Available for purchase atAmazon
Kobo 

Be sure to visit Laura at: Website 
Blog 

***ARC provided by the publisher for an honest review.*** 

 

8 comments:

  1. So happy you like this one! I haven't read it yet, but I am planning to. I'm certain you'll enjoy the others as well. I've read the previous ones and especially loved North of Need with Owen :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I loved it, Nina. I can't wait to read the others. :)

      Delete
  2. great review. Book sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! Thanks for stopping by, Daryl. :D

      Delete
  3. Great review!

    You always seem to find such good books I've never seen/read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like this series, Stacey.

      Delete
  4. Love the review! I read the first one in the series, but have not had the chance to read the next 2. I need to move these up my TBR. :)
    I have read others also by Laura Kaye and really enjoyed them.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Tina. :) I seriously need to read the first two. I'm hooked on it now.

      Delete