Sunday, March 3, 2013

Review of Highlander Most Wanted


Blurb: In Highlander Most Wanted, a reclusive woman content to live in the shadows shows a Highland warrior the true meaning of love.

Genevieve McInnes is locked behind the fortified walls of McHugh Keep, captive of a cruel laird who takes great pleasure in ruining her for any other man. Yet when Bowen Montgomery storms the gates on a mission of clan warfare, Genevieve finds that her spirit is bent but not broken. Still, her path toward freedom remains uncertain. Unable to bear the shame of returning to a family that believes her dead or to abandon others at the keep to an imposing new laird, Genevieve opts for the peaceful life of an abbess. But Bowen’s rugged sensuality stirs something deep inside her that longs to be awakened by his patient, gentle caress—something warm, wicked, and tempting.

Bowen seizes his enemy’s keep, unprepared for the brooding and reclusive woman who captures his heart. He’s enchanted by her fierce determination, her unusual beauty, and her quiet, unfailing strength. But wooing her will take more than a seasoned seducer’s skill. For loving Genevieve, he discovers, means giving her back the freedom that was stolen from her—even if it means losing her forever.


Review: So I was fortunate enough to get my hands on another ARC from Netgalley. Really starting to love those ladies and gents. And I'm really starting to wish I hadn't waited so long to try it out.

I jumped on this one when I saw it on the list for two reasons: 1) I love Maya Banks 2) I love Highlanders. Can't really go wrong with either, in my opinion.

I purchased the first, Never Seduce a Scot, and have been waiting for this second book in the series. I really fell into this author's KGI Series quite easily, so it was no hardship for me to pick up her historical romances and give them a read.

Personally, I love them. They have many of the same characteristics of Ms. Banks' contemporary romances. This author definitely knows how to write the epitome of a tortured heroine with much to overcome. And where there is a seriously tortured heroine, there is always a possessive, alpha male that takes care of his lady and draws her out of her torment, showing her such delicate care and love. I love that about most of Maya Banks' novels.

Highlander Most Wanted is no different. We have Genevieve, our tortured heroine, that is struggling to survive and meek out a meager existence in a hostile environment that was not of her own choosing. Stoically, she lives with the shame and pain that have been heaped on her for a year as a captive to a real ass of a villain. Thankfully, he was dealt with in Never Seduce a Scot. You know, as I read this book, there were times when I really wished I could reach out and hug the heroine. Such tragic circumstances she's had to deal with.

Enter our hot Scottish hero, Bowen. I couldn't have asked for a better hero to be suited with this strong, yet fragile heroine. Now's a good time to point out another aspect that really endears the author's heroes to me...They don't beat around the bush when they are in love. There's none of the "Oh I have to push her away because I love her" crap that typically can be taken too far in some cases. This hero didn't shy away from loving Genevieve. Instead, he set out to show her happiness in life when she's had absolutely none in the past year. He took his time with her, showed delicate care, and was quite protective of his lady love. At the same time, he never compromised his alpha maleness in the process.

All in all, I really enjoyed this second book in the Montgomerys and Armstrongs Trilogy. I also admit to finding it a bit difficult to wait for the third book, Highlander Ever After. If you love proud, tortured heroines, and possessive, alpha heroes set in the backdrop of medieval Scotland, go ahead and grab this series.

Available for preorder: Amazon

ARC provided by Netgalley.

7 comments:

  1. Just by your review, I want to read these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Maya Banks books. I think you would too, Sheri. :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore Maya Banks and have been eyeing this series! Thanks for such a detailed, helpful review; it's encouraged me to get my own copy! None of Maya Banks's Scots of have failed me, so I know I'll love it as much as you did :)

    ♥ Karielle @ Books à la Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you enjoyed the review, Karielle. Thanks so much for stopping by and reading it. I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent review. And what makes it so good is I now want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it and think you would too. Thanks for stopping by, Brenda. :)

      Delete
  4. Darn your reviews! They are so good, my wish list will never be the same again. lol

    I think I saw one of her historical novels in the store. I might have to pick it up now. :)

    ReplyDelete