Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cindy Paterson's The Senses Series

Right...so you guys already know I read reviews and pick up books based on those reviews a lot of times (good, bad or indifferent). So, I found this particular series while reading the rocking review site of the lovely MsRomanticReads (very awesome review site, by the way). Back in December, I picked up a book she reviewed called Jump by Cindy Paterson. Now, being the awesome person that I am (no really!), I felt it's my literary duty to inform people this book is now free at Amazon for a limited time. Don't even bother questioning it. Just go ahead and grab a copy while you can.


The Senses Series: Book 1
Blurb: Book One of the Senses:
A band of extraordinary warriors walk in the shadows of the human world with capabilities derived from the senses: Trackers, Sounders, Healers, Tasters, Visionaries and the rare Reflectors. Collectively, they are known as the 'Senses'.

Centuries of loyalty

His code of honor was respected without question, until he consumed the blood of an enemy in exchange for a mortal woman to be set free from certain slavery.

He can't forget her

Despite knowing, he will be imprisoned and put to death if caught, Balen, a fierce Senses Tracker, returns to Toronto to find the mortal woman, Danielle, he left behind two years ago. Haunted with memories of the torture they endured in the hands of a Senses enemy, Balen's determination to see her again, drives him to risk everything. But when he does, a new enemy comes into play, one he can't defeat.

To conquer the wrath of fear

Determined to find some sort of peace after her abduction, Danielle finds solace in painting a man from her nocturnal unconsciousness. When he comes knocking on her door, her world is shattered and Danielle must face her worst fears in order to survive what is coming after them. It won't stop. It can't. For the ancient spell has no compassion.

A journey of tenacious desire that refuses to fade even though that is what will destroy them. Because--in order for Danielle to live, first she must die.

Review: You guys already know I sometimes start with "preambles" so here we go. I could kick myself for not reading this book sooner. That being said, I could also kick myself for starting the book at eleven at night.

I wasn't entirely sure what I expected when I picked up this book. I read the blurb and I liked the sound of it. Of course, with limited time to read, it took me a while to get to it. Late at night, I was messing around on my kindle and figured I would read a couple pages to see how it was written. Well... I stayed up till four in the morning reading the book.

Honestly, I couldn't put it down. It flipping grabbed my attention and just wouldn't let go. The characters are well-developed and the dialog was smooth. Definitely a pleasant surprise, to say the least.

I loved Balen and Danielle together. He's one of those possessive, alpha males that knows how to handle his lady with delicate care, which she needs. Lord, the lady had a bit of rough time in the beginning, with due cause of course. 

The secondary characters are really something else as well. They are all well fleshed out with backstories of their own that you're anxious to learn more about. After finishing book one, immediately, I picked up book two. I had to know what would happen with the next hero and heroine in Step.


Speaking of..

The Senses Series: Book 2

Blurb: ‘Only her love can restore his trust—only with his trust can she win her battle.’

Kilter, an immortal Senses Visionary, excels at being rude and crass with little hope of finding peace after being betrayed and tortured by his brother more than a hundred years ago. Reckless and stubborn he has alienated everyone—just the way he likes it. Until the day he meets Rayne and emotions he buried long ago are reawakened.

Rayne suffers from Anorexia Nervosa. Trapped by debilitating thoughts and a false sense of control, Rayne is slowly dying. Her husband has kept her secluded and alone for years, causing her to withdraw into an emotionless shell. But Rayne’s outward behaviour is deceiving for beneath her delicate existence is a woman with strength. The trouble is—can she find that part of herself that has been driven away? Or has her cruel husband broken her fragile existence?

The two tortured souls are brought together only to be torn apart and forced to relive their horrific pasts in order to find salvation. But Rayne’s past has more significance than the Senses realize and their enemies will do anything in order to get her back.

The Senses are in for one hell of a fight as Waleron is forced to make the hardest decision of his life—Damien is tortured beyond his emotional capability by the witch Abigail—and Delara is drawn into a vampire’s arms only to have him use her darkest secret against her.

Review: Ha, at least I was smart enough not to start reading this second book at eleven at night.

Once again, you have a well-structured world with well-developed characters and a whole lot of action and drama.

After reading Jump, I had to read this book the following day. I couldn't help it. After the interaction between Rayne and Kilter, it was a necessity for me to find out how these two would end up together. 

And I can't help myself. I loved Kilter. He's crude, rude, and really a bit of a bastard to absolutely everyone except Rayne. He's protective of her and determined to see her well. To be honest, he was just the type hero Rayne needed in her tragic life. Even though, she's hard-pressed to step (ha, get it) outside of her shell and open up (with good reason), she saw through all his direct, abrasive mannerisms and speech. I loved the bond formed between these two.

And revelations.. this book had a couple that took me by surprise. With one in particular, it's sort of like I could feel, yes feel, that it might head in that direction, but I thought to myself, "Nah, there's just no way." Then BAM! I gasped and my mouth dropped open.

So, yeah, Cindy Paterson has become one of my pre-order authors now. And my final thought is.. why, oh why must I wait so flipping long for book three. I HAVE to know what's going to happen next with a few secondary characters. 


You can find Cindy Paterson here: Website

Also be sure to follow MsRomanticReads for some awesome recommendations

16 comments:

  1. Great reviews, Melissa. I like the sound of Balen: possessive, alpha male that knows how to handle his lady with delicate care ---> SOLD! And since you & Michelle loved it, I am giving this series a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks, Nina! And you should definitely pick them up. Man, I'm going nuts waiting for book three.

      Thanks for stopping by, chickie! :)

      Delete
  2. AWESOME review, Melissa! I'm so happy that you loved it! I have been pimping this series since I first read it last year. I'm glad it's finally getting the attention it deserves.

    This made me LOL - she's hard-pressed to step (ha, get it)

    And thank you very much for the shout out. I really appreciate it <3

    @Nina: My word alone wasn't good enough? I'm shocked! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Michelle! :D See! I really do pay attention to your recommendations. And I agree, the series does deserve all the attention it gets. Wonderful series so far.

      Glad you thought my little attempt at humor made you laugh too. And always a pleasure to give you a shout out, dearie.

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm glad it made you laugh.. not really "thought" it made you laugh. Sometimes.. meh, just sometimes. Too many thoughts going on at one time in my head. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm so lucky to have quality readers ;) I love how you started book one at 11pm, stayed up until 4am and then bought the next book right after. That's how you know you've been baited and hooked.

      I love your humor! And you make me laugh on many occasions.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing Melissa...always love to get another readers recommendations on a book. Sounds like these are going to be good reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Christine. I love it when people give me recommendations too. Now if I could just read more, it would be awesome. LOL. :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great read! Loved both reviews. You do them so well.

    I downloaded the first book on your recommendation.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray, Stacey! Glad you stopped by and grabbed a copy.

      Delete
  5. going to have to go check these out and make sure to do it early in the day so I don't stay up late! Like some reviewer/writer I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, don't start them late at night. Lesson learned here. Thanks for stopping by, chickie. :)

      Delete
  6. Okay, not one but TWO recommendations to read, and I was off to Amazon! Ha! I'll be starting this book just as soon as the kids are in school. :) Thank you Msromanticreads and my crit partner Melissa!

    Great reviews, both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheri-poo! I was definitely surprised by this series. Glad you picked up a copy and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sheri. For the compliment and for the blog follow :)

      Delete
  7. Oh bloody wow!!! I'm so going to read this series!!! Thanks for turning it on to me!

    ReplyDelete