Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ha, gotcha!


So writing is tough, I think any writer knows that. But, is there ever a time when you begin to wonder if you should just hang it all up and be done with the headaches?

I suppose I should insert this preamble. I realize my writing isn't "poor" per se. Through hard work, devouring critique partners' advice, consuming numerous articles, posts, books on the craft, I've created a solid foundation for a novel.

But, come on, a foundation just isn't enough for a decent novel, which brings me to my point. How long do you struggle to just "get" it and attempt to make it work, always feeling that some essential element is missing? Your "beast of burden", a.k.a. novel, is as weary and drained as you are. Of course, you know the saying, "You can't flog a dead horse." So, do you pack it in and call it a day?

Then along comes a baby...

On the cusp of defeat, the epiphany I've awaited for ages FINALLY decided to pop by for tea yesterday. With that said, apparently my struggle has taken nearly a year.

I'm now in possession of that one critical component that has eluded me for so long. So to sum up this whole weirdo post, GOTCHA!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote those last 2 paragraphs - because I was about to say "What the HELL are you talking about?" I read a few chapters of your novel and lady, it is GOOD. But if you felt like something was missing, I'm so happy you found it! And I cannot wait to read the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's all part of writing I think. There's doubt, the feeling something is missing, the joy, the triumph when you get it all worked out....then there are the changes that change that moment of triumph. But through the entire journey you are learning and improving and deep down you know that know matter what, you'll always write!

    Congrats on getting your story worked out. Sometimes it's quite a process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely relate, Melissa. Writing is such a roller coaster ride. Sometimes you feel like you're on top of the world and then it's like OMG what the heck am I doing!! We're writers though and it's what we do...so we just keep getting on the ride. ;) Congrats on working out your story!! *cheers for you*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, but NEVER give up! Glad you GOT it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm way curious to know what this epiphany of yours is! Your writing is wonderful; characters and plot well thought out. I agree with Christine - doubt will plague all of us from time to time. Insecurity sets in and hanging it up seems the only way out. Don't you DARE fall into that trap! The burst of joy you get from publication will make it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, congrats on your epiphany! That is awesome.
    Second, the thought of quitting hits us all--well, maybe not all, but most--me included. In fact, I have quit before, only to take up the pen again. Writing isn't easy for me. Actually, it's the hardest thing I've ever done--and I have two boys!

    I can't even go as far as to say I love writing, because I don't. Sure some days I do, but most I despise it. But I write because I have a wicked story to tell.

    So quitting isn't an option for me right now--maybe later, lol. And it's not an option for you either, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, I'm curious about the epiphany as well!

    Everyone feels like they should quit at least once. Sometimes half a dozen times a year...for a week or so.

    Every book I write, I alternatively think it's both the best and worst thing I've ever written.

    I think that's just the nature of writting. I'm glad things are working out for you now. Don't stop. When that feeling happens to me, it usually means I haven't been reading enough.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete