Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Interview with author Lia Davis

Divinities Series - Book 2
Today I'm happy to have author Lia Davis on my blog today. She's stopped by to share a bit about her new release Death's Storm. **She's also offering two lucky commenters a swag pack! Be sure to comment with your email address to enter.** :)

So I'll start by welcoming you, Lia, and ask you to share a little about yourself with the readers.

Hi, Melissa. Thanks so much for having me today. I’m a paranormal romance author, mother and wife. I love my night job. LOL

Ha, I can understand that. Now, what started your writing career? What inspires or motivates you to write?

I started reading paranormal romance about four years ago and fell in love. Something about the different worlds and the fantasy mixed with romance woke up my muse. Writing is an escape for me. I can’t wait to get home from work so I can dive into the current world I’m creating.

That's great that your love for reading inspired you. So how did you come up with The Divinities Series?

The Divinities just evolved from a bunch of different story ideas. I didn’t set out to write about witches. They just came to me.

Are you planning more books in the Divinities Series?

Yes, there are five books planned for the series.

Can you share one of your favorite excerpts from Death’s Storm? And why is it your favorite?

Not sure if I have a favorite. I love Khloe and Jagger so much that any scene where they are together is my fav. So here’s just one.

     "Khloe woke the next morning enveloped in warmth that smelled earthy, spicy with a hint of sandalwood, but there was another scent. It was vaguely familiar, yet she couldn’t place where she’d picked up the scent before. With her eyes still closed, she snuggled into the warmth and breathed in the wonderful smells. It reminded her of Willow’s scent when she’d returned from the Afterworld.
     Alarmed, she flung her eyes open and scrambled backward off the bed. The death demon had taken it upon himself to share the bed with her. The creep was sound asleep as if he belonged there. Okay, so it was his bed, but she hadn’t given him permission to be there with her.
     “Wake up!” she demanded, throwing her pillow at him.
     Jagger jolted awake, sitting straight up. “What? What’s wrong?”
     “You,” she blurted out with her hands on her hips. “What do you think you’re doing?”
     He gave her a confused, sleepy-eyed expression that quickly changed to amusement, like her distress was funny.
     “Wipe that smug look off your face,” she fumed.
     With smirk intact, he swung his feet to the floor, stood, and stalked around the bed toward her. She swallowed hard and hated the desire that raced through her veins like lava. The tiny flame inside her, the piece of her that belonged to the element of Fire, ignited and intensified at the feel of his aura.  Her sex ached, begging to be touched by him. He was gorgeous, hard lean muscles of his bare shoulders flexing and rolling as he prowled closer. She let her gaze roam over his body as he advanced closer to her in nothing but his boxer-briefs. She swallowed, hard and lifted her gaze back to his face. Logic told her to run, but her body said “bring it.” It had been way too long…
      How could this demon have such an effect on her?
     “Don’t come any closer,” she whispered.
     “Why not, Khloe?” It was a growl, and gods, it sent that hot, lusty need straight to her sex. He stopped about six inches from her. “Why are you angry?”
     “You never said you would be sleeping in the bed with me.” She lifted her chin proud that her tone was firm.
     The smirk turned into a smile. Damn, did he even realize the effect his smile had on a woman? He probably did. He was male, after all."

Great excerpt. I really liked that part in the book. :) So if you were a character in your book, what type of being would you choose? Personally, I don’t think I’d mind being a death demon. Just saying.

I’d be a Divinity with Ayden’s power of adaptability. It would be cool to use others’ powers. But then again that is a very powerful gift he has.

 Can you explain a bit about the elements in the Divinities Series? If you were one of the Divinities, which element would you be ruled by?

The witches in the Divinities series are nature based and rely on the elements for much of their magic and spell weaving. Most are ruled by one element more than the others and some are drawn to two, and in Khloe’s case has the gift to control all the elements.

My ruling element would be water, then air.

What are some of your favorite paranormal series that you like to read in your free time?

Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR WARD, Pys-Changeling by Nalini Singh, Dark Hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter, Redwood Pack by Carrie Ann Ryan. The list can go on and on. LOL. Those are just my top five.

Good choices! Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lia Davis?

It’s pretty boring. From Monday to Friday, I get up at 5:00 AM, do some promo/blog stuff. Sometimes I’ll sneak in a few hundred words of my WIP. By 7 I’m heading to the day job that I work until 4. I usually get back home between 5 to 6, fix dinner, then start writing, then it’s to bed around 10 or 10:30. The weekends are a little more free for family and writing.

Last but not least, what are you working on at the moment? You do have a new series coming out soon, don’t you? Can you share a teaser from it with us?

Yes, I am! I have a new series coming out called Ashwood Falls. It’s about two shift packs-wolves and leopards-coming together to form one large Pack. They have to learn to live together. The books will surround the lives of the Alpha families of both Packs. So there is 9 books (including the prequel)planned for the series.

The prequel, Winter Eve, releases around December 18th.  Here’s the blurb.



Blurb: There comes a time when setting your differences aside isn’t just necessary, it’s a means of survival. After losing over half of their dens to a group rogue shifters, the wolves and leopards merged as one Pack, but living together is much more of a challenge then they expected.

Danica Welsh was born to be the leopard pack healer. An accident involving a drug induced youth left her badly burned and scared—emotionally and physically. Without the ability to heal by touch, she secludes herself to the edge of town, away from Ashwood Falls’ overly concerned citizens. All hope of mating and family become a distance dream. When she finally starts to accepts the long, lonely existence ahead of her, a stranger crashes into her life, and her heart.

After Nevan Mathews’ fiancĂ©e died three ago, he submerged himself into his work, cutting off all reminders of a life he dreamed of with the woman he loved. He lets his step-mother talk him into taking the first vacation in five years to visit for the holidays. But an accident delays his travel plans, sending him to Danica’s doorstep and raises a need he thought he would never feel again.

Can they tear down the walls around their hearts and submit to the passion before another claims Dani for his own?

Warning: Contains a shifter who's scars run deeper than skin, a human who has the heart of a shifter, and a snow storm that's sure to have them both reaching for warmth.


Oooohh sounds good, Lia! Thanks for sharing. :) Thank you for stopping by today and I wish you much success with both of your new releases.

Thanks so much for having me.

Death's Storm Blurb: Technical genius and demi-goddess--aka Divinity--Khloe Bradenton relies on no one for help, and she definitely doesn’t need comfort from anyone other than her twin. After her parents died by the demons’ hands over two years ago, she has graciously stepped up to her place in the war between demons and witches. When a creature far more dangerous than the ones responsible for killing her parents claims he is her guardian, she is torn between her desires for the dark predator and the painful loss she has endured at the hands of her enemies.

One of the last death demons still in existence, Jagger has pledged his life to the Goddess Hecate. Charged with the guardianship over the Divinities, he is never to approach them, but to aid them from a distance. When the firestorm, Khloe, sacrifices herself to save her twin and best friend and becomes the prey, he has no choice but to reveal himself to her. He is taken by surprise when the need to claim her as his own emerges. A desire he has never felt before could be more dangerous than the demons out to destroy them.   

Review: I will start by saying I have not read the first book in the series, but I had no trouble following along. Although, I would rather go back and read the first book to cover every detail.

If you guys haven't figured out already, certain elements in certain books appeal to me and make me like them. Books are sort of like people to me, they each have their own character. (Ha, quite literally.)

With Death's Storm what really pulled me into it was 1) I really liked Jagger and 2) the pacing was active in steady.

Jagger was an interesting character to me. He was sort of one of those characters that every other being feared so he lived sort of 'in between' the bad guys and the good guys, living a more solitary life, but his heart was all Khloe's without a doubt. Gotta love those sorts. And I liked that he didn't necessarily try to control the independent Khloe. He respected her space, even though it angered him in some cases, but he found his way around it by joining her with her missions.

Plus, the idea of a 'death demon' was pretty nifty in my opinion. I have to say I would be interested to read more about his brother.

Now that brings my to my next point, the action. The pacing was active from the very start and was steady for the entirety of the book. No lulling moments. I really enjoyed that because it made me want to continue reading and not put the book down. Before I knew it, I had flown through the book and was ready to read more.

All in all, I thought it was an enjoyable read. Now, I just have to go back and read the first book in the series so I'll be caught up when the third releases. :)

Available for purchase at: Amazon
ARe 
Kobo 

Author Bio: Lia Davis is a mother to two young adults and two very special kitties, a wife to her soul mate, a paranormal romance author, graphic designer, and co-owner to Fated Desires Publishing, LLC. She and her family live in Northeast Florida battling hurricanes and very humid summers. But it’s her home and she loves it!

An accounting major, Lia has always been a dreamer with a very activity imagination. The wheels in her head never stop. She ventured into the world of writing and publishing in 2008 and loves it more than she imagined. Writing and designing are stress relievers that allow her to go off in her corner of the house and enter into another world that she created, leaving real life where it belongs.

Her favorite things are spending time with family, traveling, reading, writing, chocolate, coffee, nature and hanging out with her kitties.
 
Be sure to drop by and visit Lia at: Author Website

Don't forget to include your email with your comment to be entered to win 1 of 2 swag packs Lia is offering! :)

13 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let everyone know that Death's Storm is on sale for limited time on Amazon for $0.99. This is an Amazon promotion, so I'm not sure how much longer it will be at the reduced price. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview ladies!

    Your cover is terrific Lia and I enjoyed the blurb :)

    christine.warner@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the interview. Congratulations on your releases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Lia! Your book sounds soooo interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read death's storm!! andrewsheath@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. l enjoyed the post ladies. sounds good, i really like the cover, all the best julie.beasley@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lia, I can't wait to read this book! I just love the cover. Great interview! Off to share.

    sandywolters(dot)author(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by guys! And thanks for dropping by today, Lia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. .99! I better go pick up a copy--thanks, Lia!
    Awesome interview you two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Egads! Writing 2 series at once - I can barely write 1 book at a time. Awesome interview and loved the blurbs and excerpts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice interview and review.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice inverview, ladies.

    Both books mentioned sound great. Loved the review!

    ReplyDelete