Saturday, August 4, 2012

Interview with Rosanna Leo


Today I'm happy to have the very rocking Rosanna Leo with me. She's a complete sweetheart and has three wonderful releases this year! ***As a special treat she is also offering one lucky commenter a copy of Sweet Hell. Please be sure to leave your email so you can be contacted.***

So we'll jump right on in. Can you tell the readers a bit about yourself?

Sure, Melissa, and thanks for giving me this opportunity to talk about myself! Ha- my kids are getting tired of hearing about me. I am a happily married mom of two boys who are way too smart for their own good. They scare me and I hope they use their powers for good one day. But enough about them….I’ve been writing for some time although my writing dreams have only come to fruition in the past year. When I’m not writing, I spend my time working in the local library and haunting the stacks. However, I’m not one of those old-school librarians who wear rubber-soled shoes and who wave their bony fingers at you if you get a fine.

Ha, yeah, I totally have never gotten that impression of you as a librarian. How long have you been writing? Is there anything in particular that inspires you to write? 

About ten years now. As far as what inspires me, it’s love, plain and simple. I always get carried away by a sweeping love story. And when the imaginary boyfriends in my head start making me obsess, that’s when I know it’s time to give them their own books.

Have you ever received any piece(s) of writing advice from someone(s) that have always stuck with you and spurred your determination to write?

My writing journey has always been a solitary one. I was always too intimidated to join writing groups, etc. However, I have always been a big believer in “Write what you know.” There’s something in each of my books that has come from my life. I would love to write a cowboy story, but likely never will. Here in Toronto, Canada, I don’t get to rub elbows with a lot of cowboys (more’s the pity!)

Perhaps a vacation is in order to some working ranch somewhere? Is there anything about your publication process you would have changed or done differently?

No. Liquid Silver Books, my publisher, has been superb to me. They have provided great guidance and even provide writing craft workshops and chats for their authors. It took me a while to get to this place, but I wouldn’t change it now that I’m here.

That's awesome you've had a great experience. I'm happy for you. So you’ve been a busy lady and had three books, For the Love of a God, Up in Flames, and Sweet Hell, release this year. What else is in the works for you?

Thanks for asking! My newest, The Selkie, comes Sept 6! Selkies are Scottish seal shapeshifters from the isle of Orkney, and are reputed for their lovemaking abilities. So…I had to write about one!

Ooo I do love the Scots. Can you share one of your favorite scenes from your latest release, Sweet Hell? And why is it one of your favorites?

There are a couple that I’m really proud of, and that I had so much fun writing. There is a scene in the basement of Josie’s bakery that involves a huge amount of cannoli…I can’t even say any more than that! It would spoil it! There’s also a cute scene in which Josie insists Dionysus prove he’s a god. Let’s just say she makes him do it in an unusual, touching way…and that it involves a very odd, little creature.

Well, I've gotta read it now. :) I have to say, I love the covers of your books. Did you have any control over the design?

Thank you so much! I’m really proud of them. Liquid Silver Books gives us 100% input on these covers, and the cover art process if so much fun. We receive a sheet in which we detail all our desires for the cover, from fonts to colors to what the characters look like and how they interact. The graphic artist interprets our wishes and makes them come to life. My artists, Amanda Kelsey and Valerie Tibbs have been amazing!

From a previous review, I read you were a singer. That’s a neat bit of information. What exactly did you sing and are you still doing so?

I trained as a classical soprano for many years, and went to university to study vocal performance. I sang with a chamber ensemble for a couple of years and loved it. However, it’s a very hard career to have with a family, and do it wholeheartedly. I reached a stage where I knew I was okay to give it up. I’m still available for weddings and funerals! LOL.

Ha, I'll keep that in mind. I’m just going to put this one out there, and let you decide what to do with it. Coronation Street??

Now, Melissa…listen to me on this one. I know you’re in Alabama, and you probably don’t get Coronation Street there. It’s a British soap opera that’s been on for, like, 100 years. Seriously. Check it out on the web. It’s super addictive, once you get accustomed to the accents. Because Canada is still very British in some ways, it’s HUGE here. In Australia too. It’s not like All My Children. It feature regular people on a regular British street…and like every other soap opera, they all ending up sleeping with each other at one point. It’s my crack.

Oh trust me, I know Coronation Street. Along with East Enders and a couple others. I was just surprised you really loved it. Now, Rosanna...it’s also come to my attention you are a notorious Nutella addict. :) If you had to convince someone to try it, how would you do so?

There is only ONE way, and you must never deviate from my method. Use a teaspoon, or a tablespoon if it’s been a bad day. Insert spoon into Nutella jar. Scoop out heaping portion and insert into mouth. Close eyes. Dream. If necessary, lather, rinse and repeat.

You know, just today I picked up a sample of Nutella to try. I've learned not to take everyone's word until I sample things. I remember I tried that with Vegemite. :\ Now since we are discussing fiction after all, if you woke up tomorrow and found yourself Queen of the enchanted land of Nutella Island. The roads paved in chocolate-nutty goodness, a sun-baked Nutella crown with a gold plated hazelnut, you know, that sort of stuff. What sort of laws would you mandate for your followers?

I’m sorry…I’m still imagining me as Queen of Nutella Island…ah! There is only one law there. Feed the Queen.

Hahaha sounds like the only important law to me. :) Thank you so much for dropping by, Rosanna. It has been a pleasure having you. I wish you success with all your releases, present and future, and hope to see you back here soon.

Blurb: Conservator Maia Douglas is an expert on ancient Greece and its mythology. She would never tell anyone at the museum where she works, but she's always had a secret crush on the mythical Eryx, Greek god of love. There is nothing she loves more than to tend to her favorite statue of him, and her nighttime dreams are filled with luscious images of Eryx making love to her.

One day, the peace at Maia's beloved museum is shattered when a new director arrives. A man who looks exactly like her image of Eryx. As Maia watches, he manages to upset her ordered museum world, at the same time he inflames her with unwanted desire.

Maia does not know that her new boss is actually the god Eryx, disguised as a mortal so he may work in antiquities. Although he is the god of love, he has forsaken his sexual nature because of a curse that has killed any woman he's dared to love. Though he fights it, Eryx is drawn to Maia with a force he's never experienced in a thousand years. But can he convince her of his true identity? And can he protect her from a vengeful goddess who seeks her destruction?

Available for purchase at: Amazon
Blurb: Juliet Baker is not looking forward to coming home after six months. Yes, the fiery brunette wants to make a go of turning her parents' farmhouse into a B&B. She’s just not looking forward to seeing the place where they died. To make things worse, she knows she'll finally have to face her cheating, firefighter ex-boyfriend.

Luckily, her sister has found Jules a boarder. Easy money, right? Not when she realizes the boarder is Captain Shane Gaskill. Not only is Shane a firefighter, he’s the town's hot new fire captain.

Jules is determined to hate all firefighters. After all, the men of that precious brotherhood protected her cheating ex. Shane, however, proves he’s different from the start. He's protective and kind, and she can't stop looking at his smoking, Viking-hot body. She learns, though, that Shane isn't so willing to love again either. He's been hurt, too. They both fight the sexual chemistry, and resulting tenderness, between them. But when a stalker begins to target Jules, they realize they can't fight their desire forever.

As the threats escalate, Shane and Jules are thrown together. The resulting passion overwhelms them. But are they willing to trust each other and surrender to the flames of love?

Available for purchase at: Amazon
Blurb: Dionysus, Greek god of wine and theater, is the world’s original playboy. But lately, he has been restless, moody, and he knows something is wrong. His carefree and bacchanal lifestyle is starting to feel like one long string of meaningless, sexual escapades. Even worse, he is suddenly aroused by the idea of marriage. And to top it all off, Josie Marino, the mouthy, disheveled, and eternally annoying woman who serves him coffee at the local bakery, sets him on fire.

Josie, a Toronto baker of Italian heritage, is not looking for love or lust. Especially not with Dionysus Iros, the most aggravating, demanding customer she'd ever had to serve. With his rippling muscles and sexy, knowing eyes, he's obviously trouble with a capital T. Unfortunately, he's also the star of her every X-rated dream. She’s known players like Dionysus before, and one of them almost got the better of her. Josie determines she will not fall for his considerable physical charms, come hell or high water.

But Dionysus turns strangely protective when a sinister character arrives at Josie's bakery, and they can no longer deny their unwanted feelings for one another. They are forced to embark on a bizarre, sexually-charged journey to hell itself, which threatens to either change them for the better, or destroy them.

Available for purchase at: Amazon
Please be sure to visit Rosanna atWebsite 

***Please be sure to include your email for a chance to win a copy of Sweet Hell***

35 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa! Thank you so much for making me queen of Nutella Island. No one has ever done that before...(sob). This was so much fun. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you participated in the interview, Rosanna. You're a pretty neato lady if I say so myself. :) I'll be sure to get your sun-baked crown out in the mail asap!

      Delete
  2. Rosanna, now I can't help but envision you with a crown piled high with acorns and jewels...congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danita! Thanks for visiting my little Nutella kingdom. You can be a duchess.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha I'm totally going all "crafty" and making a crown now. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read anything you've written (yet) but I do intend to. What would you recommend to start with?

    Shonalawrence@virginmedia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shona! Thanks for your interest! If paranormal is your thing, you may want to start with For the Love of a God, the first of my Greek god books. Sweet Hell is the followup, but can be read independently. If contemporary is your thing, I have a sexy firefighter romance, Up In Flames! I really hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  4. Great interview, ladies!

    Sounds like you had a blast writing about Silkies. Mmmmm, I do love scottish books.

    Congrats on so many new releases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey! It has been one busy year, that's for sure, but great. I appreciate your interest...and those Scots...oh my.

      Delete
  5. Great interview! I've never read your work either, Rosanna, but its high on my TBR list now. Course I love anything that has to do with the Greek Pantheon. My own novella centers around Aphrodite. I can't wait to read FOR THE LOVE GOD and SWEET HELL! I'm sure the other one is great too, but it will have to wait it's turn. All things greek get to go first. :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I agree Krystal. Greek is the way to go! I thank you for coming out and will definitely check out your Aphrodite story...we gotta give time to those goddesses too! Next on my hit list is Apollo- he's already in the works, and then I'll be turning to the lovely Artemis!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping in, Krystal! And I'm glad you and Rosanna have a similar interest as well. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm reading For The Love Of A God right now--and it is so GOOD that I know I'll be finished it within a few days. And once I'm done, I then want to read Sweet Hell.

    Awesome interview, ladies. You two rock something fierce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you rock fierce too, Brenda-poo! Glad you stopped by. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Brenda!! Muah!!

      Delete
  7. Dang it--I forgot my email addy.
    brenda_dyer212@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your books sound great. I love a good love story too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JP! Thanks for visiting. A love story will get me every single time! :)

      Delete
  9. Rosanna, if you are Queen of Nutella Island can I be the Princess or Royal food taster? My favorite treat is Nutella slathered on French bread, its also good on 10 grain bread. Mmmmmm!
    Love your writing as well :O) Carin
    mawmom(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks Carin! You are so a princess on my island!!! We'll eat Nutella and shout "Off with their heads!"

      Delete
  10. BUT...can you sing soprano with a tablespoon of Nutella in your mouth? Huh? LOL I love your books and can't wait to read them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, forgot: sherifredricks @ charter.net

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sheri!! You're a juicy Greek peach, if such things exist. Sing AND eat Nutella? Well now, you realize you've just issued a dare...! LOL.
      Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  11. Loved the interview! I'm with you Rosanna...love inspires me to write too..all the different roads to get there make for endless stories!

    Congrats on your books. You are on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiChristine! Thanks for joining me here. It has been an amazing year, and no one is more amazed than I am! :)

      Delete
  12. Great interview! I'm a huge Nutella fan too!!! *buys it in bulk at the local Big Box store* All your books look fabulous, Rosanna!! For The Love God really caught my attention! Wow! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen! No kidding- you can get Nutella in BULK??? Karen, you are hereby appointed to Nutella Island Princess! Thanks.

      Delete
  13. Rosanna, you and I are going to have to take a trip to see some cowboys to get inspired.. You know I love your work. Congrats on all the amazing books. You are truly a wonderful author and one everyone needs to find out about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Savannah! You are a total gem, and you know I luvs ya lots!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. OMG Sheri...I am actually afraid to see what would happen on such a road trip....LOL!

      Delete
  15. Hello fans of Melissa! I have done a little draw of all the names here, and the winner of Sweet Hell is....Brenda Dyer!! Congrats Brenda, my book is on its way to you! Thank you, all, and thanks so much Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Cogratulations Hoser!! Uh, I mean Brendan!!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, Sheri! Congrats, Brenda. And I'm so glad you could stop by, Rosanna. You are more than welcome anytime you would like to stop in. :)

      Delete
  16. hi roseanna. great interview. thought i'd stop in and say hi. i love the way your imagination works. selkies, huh? sounds creative.

    ReplyDelete