Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review of One Hit Wonder by Denyse Cohen

One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder Denyse Cohen


Blurb: At nearly thirty, Audrey is stumbling through her own life. When she posts on Facebook her frustration at being laid-off, a long-lost childhood friend offers her a gig to photograph his wannabe rock band on tour. Her Brazilian mother believes it’s fate; Audrey believes it’s the power of DSL.

Inside a rundown Winnebago with the all-male band, her cynicism is only matched by her fear of being taken for a groupie. Despite her own resistance, she falls for the one member who keeps her at a distance. Then John writes a song that reveals his pent-up emotions for her and propels the band to instant stardom.

Audrey must choose between working with the band or pursuing her own accomplishments, a decision that creates room for the complications of fame to creep in between her and John. Despite their connection, they find themselves facing jealousy, betrayal, and a gut-wrenching sorrow that could unravel their relationship.


Review: Actually I won my copy of One Hit Wonder. Hurray for books as gifts! I'm just saying, should you ever need to purchase a gift for me, you can't go wrong with a gift certificate for books. :) And I digress, as usual. 

No disrespect to the author, but before I begin a book by an author previously unknown to me, I tend to set my expectations a bit lower. But, this book took me by surprise. 

I thought it was well written and packed with a lot of varying emotions. When the blurb said "jealousy, betrayal, and gut-wrenching sorrow", 'twas not a lie. I thought this was a very sweet romance that showed love can survive rather difficult obstacles life throws at you. The HEA was a huge pay off for me in the end because I rooted for Audrey and John the whole way. You honestly can't help but pull for them. One Hit Wonder is a very sweet, satisfying read in my opinion. I'll be waiting to check out more from Ms. Cohen. 

Please visit the author at: Website

Available for purchase atAmazon 
iTunes  

7 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I'm beyond myself you've enjoyed the book and most grateful you shared your thoughts about it. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.(three for good luck ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's was my pleasure. I enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa...the title alone grabs my attention and then the blurb really pulled me in...but your recommendation and sharing how much you enjoyed the book makes this another to add to my TBR list.

    Sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out the review, Christine. I think you'll like the book also. :)

      Delete
  3. I am always a little wary of books by authors I don't know--which is silly because I'm an author most haven't heard of--but I tell you this, I trust Melissa's instincts when it comes to what books she likes so this book is now on my MUST read list. Not my to be read list, lol. On my MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Brenda.

    The reviews here make me want to go out and buy books. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping in, ladies. You know I always love to see you here. :) As for my instincts, so far, I'm sticking to posting things I like. One friend asked why didn't I post bad reviews. I just reasoned, it's my site and why do I have to post a bad review when I so many books I actually like or like the author's style. Meh, I'll stick with the ones I like for now. :) To each their own, right?

    ReplyDelete