Thursday, May 17, 2012

Interview with Christine Warner

Some Like it in Handcuffs by Christine Warner

So, the other night I decided to check out this author’s book after meeting her.  She’s a total sweetheart and was gracious enough to be my guinea pig interviewee for my first interview. 

Friends, Romans, Romance Readers, lend me your eyes, I have Christine Warner with me today. 

Pleasure to have you here today, Christine.  I’m so glad you could stop by.

Can you please tell the readers a bit about yourself?

I live in Michigan with my husband.  We have three kids, two dogs and two cats.. Okay, I should say I have the cats because my hubs won’t want to claim them as his. :)  We live in the country and I love it.  Lots of open spaces, nature and quiet.  I work about 30 hours a week in a medical office.  My favorite color is red and I love to laugh, cook, read, watch movies and of course, write.  And over the last year I’ve discovered I have a slight addiction to several social media sites.  Lol

Ha, I seem to have a bit of an issue with Pinterest myself.  :) How long have you been writing? And what is your motivation?

When I was in school I won a few essay contests and a young authors’ award and that was my first hint that I LOVED to write.  But my life got in the way and I didn’t seriously start to pursue it until about three and a half years ago.

As for motivation, everything around me motivates me.  I can think of story ideas from a picture, a comment, a word, even.  So basically everyday life motivates me. :D


That’s awesome.  I wish I had that particular outlook on life.  What the hardest part of writing been for you? And how do you manage to overcome it?

The hardest part is waiting for a reply from an editor or publishing house one you query.  Then if you are luck enough to have a partial or full manuscript requested, the wait gets harder.  To overcome it, I start a new project, or two or three.  Makes the time go by, but there are still days in between when the wait really gets to me.  I’m normally patient, but I have my days.  Lol


So I totally read Some Like It in Handcuffs last week and loved it.  How did you come up with the story?  Anything trigger the story for you or did you wake up one day and it popped in your head?

Every story idea I have comes to me in a different way.  For Some Like It in Handcuffs - which is a sexy, lighthearted, romantic suspense with humor - I came up with the title first.  From those five words the characters were born, the plot decided and the time and places fell into line.  I’ve had story ideas from a phrase or picture.  Some swirl around in my mind for months until everything is set and some seem to hit my brain with all the details configured.  


Well that’s flipping neat.  Ha, wish I could say the same!  Can you add an excerpt of your favorite part of the Some Like It in Handcuffs and why it’s your favorite?  You already know my most favorite scene. :)

There are several scenes that I really enjoyed.  Funny to say that I even made myself laugh out loud a few times.  (Is that bad?) Lol

Here’s one that I’m especially fond of… and I dedicate it to you!  I like this scene because it shows Sunny’s spunk and her lack of confidence in 800 words. :D
A little set up - this is early morning, Sunny just woke up with Chocolate, her cat (who just happens to have the same name as one of my cats… along with the same attitude! Lol)



Excerpt:
     Minutes later Sunny tugged her nightshirt over her head and threw it to the tiled floor. The light material slid a few inches and collided against the tub. She shuffled through the open bathroom door in nothing but her tiger striped panties and her fluffy slippers, Chocolate on her heels.
     Chills rushed over her backside. “Where’d I put my jogging clothes?” She looked at her feline friend as he tagged along beside her. Chocolate meowed and raced past her into the bedroom as if to show her.
     Sunny pulled her mass of long curls behind her head to secure it with a large clip. The door to her office stood open and she glanced inside as she passed. She sucked in a breath, stopped, and backed up until she stood in the frame of the door. Her hands faltered their work with her hair. The breath she’d been about to exhale caught in her throat, and she blinked several times. Not sure if what she saw was real.
     “Judson! What the hell are…?”
     Judson’s body was strewn across the black futon. His sleepy expression perked up when he noticed her. He bolted upright, rubbed his hands over his face, and stared. His eyes darkened. The heat from his gaze burned a trail from the top of her head down to her fuzzy slippers, stopping momentarily to circle her breasts, before she realized she stood in front of him in nothing but her shocked expression and a pair of animal print panties.
     Smoke followed her spring to her bedroom. The door crashed closed and she pressed her back into it. Sunny’s hands flew to her mouth as she choked back a sob. She gasped for air and sank to the floor.
     “Sunny!”
     Judson’s footsteps were quick. He covered the small distance from the office to her bedroom in seconds. The sound of his breathing from the other side of the door echoed in her ears. She buried her face in her hands.
     “Sunny.”
     His deep voice lowered. She raised her head then swallowed the lump in her throat. What was he still doing here? Looking like a ditz in front of him had become a habit.
     “Are you okay?”
     “Go away.” Her voice squeaked. She pulled her knees to her chest. Only one of her feet encased in a slipper. She must’ve lost the other one during her mad flight.
     “No. I need to make sure you’re okay.”
     “I’m okay. Now go away.” Any normal man would slink out of the apartment without a word, but not Judson. He had the sudden urge to have a conversation. Someday she hoped the workings of the male mind would make sense to her.
     “You don’t sound okay.”
     “Well, of course I don’t sound okay.” She gulped down her embarrassment. “What the hell are you doing here?”
     She folded her arms around her legs and rested her chin on her knees. Chocolate strolled from beneath the bed, swirling his tail over her shin and sidled toward the closet. At least he remained calm.
     “I’m sorry. I fell asleep.”
     An apology.
     “Really, you think?” She snorted. “Just leave, Judson.” Couldn’t he take the hint?
     “Come on, Sunny. You’re acting like a man’s never seen you in the raw before.”
     Her cheeks burned. “And you’re acting like it’s an everyday occurrence.”
     Silence. Sunny thumped her head against her knees. He didn’t need to know she was practically a virgin did he? She could talk the talk, but when it came to walking the walk, she reserved it for someone special. She didn’t sleep with anyone unless major feelings were involved.
She groaned at the memory. She could honestly say she’d only loved one man in her life. Her clumsy, first and only, long term boyfriend. Though now she realized it was more puppy love than all consuming. Their one attempt at making love had turned into a disaster of universal proportions. She’d ended up with a black eye when he’d tried to remove her shirt in the backseat of his car, and she’d practically maimed him for life when her knee had jerked up between his legs. From then on they’d kept their romance to kissing and heavy petting. When their relationship ended, Sunny put men on hold to focus on her career.
     His voice softened. “I didn’t see anything.”
     “You’re a liar. You saw everything.” She lifted her head and flicked her eyes at the white door littered with heart shaped post it notes. Written reminders on each one acted as her unique calendar. “The only thing you don’t know about me at this point is if I’m a natural blonde or not.”
     Her comment was greeted by his badly concealed chuckle.
     “Well, are you?”

Hahaha I do love that scene, Christine! :)

So will we be able to expect more great stories out of you soon? Anything in the works currently?

I’m currently working on a contemporary romance tentatively titled 30 Day Wager.  But I do have two more stories coming out this summer.  One will be released in August and is titled Two-Timing the Boss and I have another coming out with Entangled Publishing.  The release is scheduled tentatively for July and the working title is Blind Date Billionaire.

Any advice for new writers?

Keep writing. Study the craft anywhere you can.  Through critique partners, reading blogs, following agent and publisher websites, reading books on craft, submitting to contests… this is a never ending business of growing, learning and improving.

Awesome advice, Christine. I have to ask, when you first learned Some Like It in Handcuffs was to be published, what was the first thing you did aside from scream?


I called my sister because she’s a huge inspiration.  She encouraged me to follow a dream that I kept putting aside for other things.  She’s been great support when I’ve let doubt and fear take control. :) Yep, I love her.

That’s super sweet.  What made you decide on a hot Native American as your hero?  Not a bad choice for Judson at all, by the way.

I actually decided to make him Native American because my sister loves Native American heroes, so it’s a tribute to her. :)

Ha, nice tribute!  So, if you could be any animal, what would you be and why?  It can be an animal of fantasy as well since I seem to have this thing for unicorns and bionic polar bears lately.

I love unicorns too… but I’m going to go with a cat.  A cat that lives in my house because they tend to be the most spoiled animals on the planet.  Plus, they nap all day, whenever they want - they get treats, cuddles and all the perks with none of the responsibility. Lol

Yeah, my cat knows that charmed life as well. :)  Name three things that bring you absolute bliss.

1. Spending time with my family - they always make me laugh.
2. Enjoying a good book - either reading it or writing it.
3. Dove chocolate squares - they’re heaven on earth!


Good choices!  I love Dove chocolate squares too.  Alright, last question for you Christine.  If you could be any fictional character of all time, who would you be and why?

Wow, this is a tough one.  Okay, it took me awhile, but I’m going to go with Scarlett O’Hara from Gone with the Wind.  She had spunk, determination, wasn’t afraid to speak out - okay, sometimes she made bad decisions, but she did it with conviction and strength and deep down, she was a good person who meant well but maybe acted without quite thinking things through. :)

Great answer!  I want to thank you so much for stopping by and allowing me to quiz you a bit today.  You were a brave woman to accept the task of being my first interviewee.  I appreciate your patience with me.  I can’t wait to read more from you and I wish you tons of success with Some Like It in Handcuffs and all of your future releases.  Perhaps I can get you back here this summer!  *Wink, wink*

Please be sure to pick up a copy of Christine’s new book.  You won’t be disappointed!


Blurb: Sunny Kennedy, the only female in a family of blue blood male detectives, is determined to prove testosterone isn’t the only qualification required to solve a cold case.  Handcuffed while undercover then taken to the precinct by an attractive detective, her domineering family demands she work with Detective Judson Blackhawk, or she’s off the case.

Judson Blackhawk thinks women in law enforcement should work behind the scenes. The prospect of working with his Captain’s sexy daughter doesn’t thrill him.  He only agrees in hopes of solving the murder of his one time mentor’s daughter.  Once the case is over, he’s moving to Montana to heal his wounds from the loss of his last partner.

But when their investigation takes a dangerous turn, Sunny and Jud soon realize their feelings for each other cannot be denied.

My Review: I wasn’t entirely too sure what to think when I was confronted with the title.  However, after the first couple of pages, I soon found myself flipping from page to page with enthusiasm.  This was definitely a humorous story with such likeable characters.  The author crafted a smooth-flowing, well-written novel that captured my attention from start to finish. 

I think the author did a fantastic job creating two extremely witty, appealing characters that complimented each other so well.  Also, she established an awesome level of sexual tension and witty banter between Sunny and Judson. 

All in all, I enjoyed this lighthearted, sexy, fun read.  Without a doubt, I finished this book with a huge smile on my face.  I’m anxious to read more from this author.  So, please write more soon, eh?

Christine loves to hear from readers and other authors.  Please feel free to drop her a line any time.  **Also, one lucky commenter has the chance to win a copy of Some Like It in Handcuffs!  Be sure to leave a comment with your email address so you can be contacted.**

 Available for purchase at: Amazon

Please stop by and visit the author at: Website/Blog

42 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview and review! Christine's book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Lisa! Yeah, I really liked her book and I'm very glad to have her today.

      Delete
    2. Hi Lisa...thanks for coming by to read the interview.

      And Melissa...I'm still thrilled you enjoyed the book...it makes my day :)

      Delete
  2. LOVED the excerpt because I could picture the whole scene taking place in my head, and what a funny visual! Great interview ladies, I really enjoyed reading this, and I'm going to add this book to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Sydney! Glad to see you here. Perhaps you just might win it. :)

      Delete
    2. Love to hear you'll add Some Like it in Handcuffs to your list...and like Melissa said...maybe you'll win a copy!

      Thanks for coming by :)

      Delete
  3. Great interview, ladies. Christine, always good to see you, and Melissa, super job with the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, D'Ann! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks D'Ann...I appreciate the support :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful interview, ladies! Enjoyed reading it! Can't wait to read Christine's books! Love her voice and excerpts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for dropping by, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer...love the compliment!

      Delete
  6. Great first interview, Mellisa. Light and breezy, with plenty of content.

    Christine, besides loving the title and cover, I enjoyed the blurbs you chose. And I cracked up reading that you made yourself laugh out loud. I think that's a very good thing and not because I do it myself on occasion, but because if your story doesn't make YOU laugh, it probably won't make others laugh either.

    Great job.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping in, Mackenzie! Love the name btw :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Mac...thanks for coming by! Glad to know that you don't think I'm a bit off for laughing at my own stuff.

      I certainly love to laugh, so I'll take humor whenever I can get it!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous first interview, Melissa. I think Christine has a bit of experience being interviewed. Loved the excerpt - that's the first time I've read that one. No need to enter me in the giveaway since I already bought Some Like it in Handcuffs. Can't wait to read it when we go out of town next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooohhh..I'm excited that you bought the book Ally...I hope you enjoy it!

      And you're right, Melissa did a great job on her first interview...we had a riot!

      And for some reason I'm craving Bugles...hehehehe

      Delete
  8. Great interview ladies. I always like to see the different questions people ask and of course, the answers. Loved the excerpt.

    Katherineg425@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine, glad you came by!

      Good to hear you liked the excerpt...it's one that really stands out for me...and I know Melissa's fond of it too so I thought I'd share :)

      Delete
  9. Awesome interview, ladies! And excellent excerpt! I've got to get this book for my summer reading. I loved Scarlett too, Christine, though if you were her I'd hope you'd manage to hang on to Rhett! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Definitely Jenna...if I had Rhett...I'd have clung to his leg so he couldn't get out the door! lol

      Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed this interview--and that excerpt...Christine, that was fabuLOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurray! Thanks for stopping by, you guys! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, thanks for having me...this has been so fun!

      Delete
    2. So glad to have you today, Christine. I've definitely loved getting to know you better! You're an awesome lady! :)

      Delete
    3. I'm glad I got to know you better too! Anyone that has bugle fingernails and likes ice cream cake RULES in my book!

      Delete
    4. Hahahaha well you're a pretty rocking lady in my book too. Apparently we even share the random bowl idea as well. :) Can't wait to have you again.

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry it took me all day to get here now! What a fun and interesting interview. Great first time, Melissa! Christine you know I love ya babe! I absolutely LOVED that scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you to Calisa!

      Glad you liked the scene....it was fun to write and even now I get a big smile on my face reading it :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for coming by, Calisa! :)

      Delete
  13. Great interview and great first review Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came by Daryl...thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
    2. Very glad to see you popped in, Daryl! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  14. A bit late, but I'm here! You did a wonderful job with the interview! Christine is great...I adore her to pieces, and Some Like It in Handcuffs is a great book...I loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm chiming in late, too, but it was a geat update on Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Late to the party, as usual. Great interview ladies. You should be proud Melissa!

    Marika
    maw1725@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for making it, Marika! Glad to see you here, chickie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this one too and had the same initial reaction, not so sure how it would play out and the cover threw me off. That being said I thought it was a lot of fun. Great review and interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes. Sometimes covers and titles can throw me. Thanks for stopping by, Em!

      Delete