Monday, April 30, 2012

Review of The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

Madness of Lord Ian new cover
Book One in the Highland Pleasures Series



Blurb: The year is 1881. Meet the Mackenzie family--rich, powerful, dangerous, eccentric. A lady couldn't be seen with them without ruin. Rumors surround them--of tragic violence, of their mistresses, of their dark appetites, of scandals that set England and Scotland abuzz.

The youngest brother, Ian, known as the Mad Mackenzie, spent most of his young life in an asylum, and everyone agrees he is decidedly odd. He's also hard and handsome and has a penchant for Ming pottery and beautiful women.

Beth Ackerley, widow, has recently come into a fortune. She has decided that she wants no more drama in her life. She was raised in drama--an alcoholic father who drove them into the workhouse, a frail mother she had to nurse until her death, a fussy old lady she became constant companion to. No, she wants to take her money and find peace, to travel, to learn art, to sit back and fondly remember her brief but happy marriage to her late husband.

And then Ian Mackenzie decides he wants her. 

Original pub: Dorchester/Leisure
May 2009
Re-Release: Berkley Sensation
August 2011




My Opinion: From time to time, I find myself trolling through a couple local book stores in search of new authors to read. You never can have to many things to read, right? 

On one such occasion, I picked up The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley. The author was completely new to me and the blurb on the back sounded decent enough. After all, who doesn't like a hot Scotsman? So, I thought, what the hell? I'll give it a shot. 

To my surprise, I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning, finishing the book in one sitting. I couldn't put the book down. Since then, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have reread it. Apparently, it never gets old.

I won't go into specific details about the plot and storyline. You should read the book and find that out for yourself. However, what I will say, the author wrote a remarkable, unconventional hero and heroine that I absolutely adore. 

I have to give kudos to Jennifer Ashley for creating such a complex, out of the ordinary hero. Ian, who suffers from Asperger's Syndrome, has to be one of the most swoon-worthy, fictional characters I have ever read. I loved his high level of intensity, directness, honesty, and protectiveness of his lady and family. *Le Sigh* Where, oh where is my Ian Mackenzie?

Beth is a refreshing change for a female heroine and not your average, simpering Miss. She is as honest and direct as Ian. Reaching a point in her life where she no longer worried over formalities and pleasing society, she decided to live life on her own terms. Instead of waiting for happiness to find her, she took the initiative and forged her own way to a happily-ever-after. 

Also, the author did a fantastic job introducing the Mackenzie family in this first book of the Highland Pleasures Series. Once you finish the book, you'll be anxious to find out more about the next member of this tragically odd, troubled family. 

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie and highly recommend it every chance I get. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the character, Lord Ian Mackenzie. 

Purchase Links: Amazon

Please visit the author at: Website  






6 comments:

  1. I so want this book! I've read many reviews about it, but still haven't managed to pick it up yet.

    Great review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a first review - you did an awesome job. And the book sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, seriously Melissa. this review rocked. I knew you would be an natural at this.

    Your review was so good, I now have The Madness Of Lord Ian Mackenzie on my must read list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful review. You are right on track. Great job. Wanna come work for me, too?

    Marika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review! I enjoyed this. Adding this book to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I'll add this to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete